Friday, November 14, 2014

Change of Plans!! (Our real 2015 race schedule)

So, after we took lots of time to plan the “perfect” race season, the Challenge New Albany race was cancelled.  So we were back to the drawing board.  The thing is, this race getting cancelled got me to thinking.  I realized that I REALLY want to run the Boston Marathon and I don’t want to give up on that goal.  I “BQ’d” (3:34:11) at the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2013 and then anxiously awaited to hear if I got into Boston 2015, only to find out that my “BQ” was 13 seconds too slow…. 0.5seconds/mile!! I was crushed.


Long story short is that I still want to race a couple of triathlons this coming season, but I really want to focus my energy on running and try to BQ.  I can't bear the thought of just letting this goal slip away.  So, I am shifting my focus 100% to prep for marathon training while doing the best I can to maintain some tri fitness.  



I will use the next 8 weeks to build my base in preparation for 18 weeks of marathon training.  These weeks will be focused on building my running fitness through “easy” runs.  Basically, I will be slowly building weekly mileage with very little intensity in order to safely adapt my body to the stress of marathon training.  During this transitional period, my training will also consist of strength training, yoga, short drill focused swims to maintain my feel for the water, and some easy spins.   My real focus is on running with a hope to maintain as much tri fitness as possible without doing anything detrimental to my marathon training. 




So, what’s my race season going to look like?  Well, I am super excited for 2015!  Here’s my plan:

            March 15 – Rock ‘n Roll DC Half Marathon (B race)
    Goal: Test my fitness, have fun, and boost my confidence!

            May 17 – Cleveland Marathon  (A++ Race!)
                        Goal #1: “BQ” by 2 minutes (3:33)
                        Goal #2: Sub 3:30 (REACH GOAL!)
                        Goal #3: 3:25 (SUPER SCARY REACH GOAL!)

            June 28 – Tavern Sprint Tri  (B race)
                        Goal: HAVE FUN! & Push myself

            July 27 – Cleveland Oly Tri (A/B Race)
                        Goal: PR, quick run, HAVE FUN!

            Sept 13 – Challenge Cedar Point 70.3??????
This is UP IN THE AIR.  Anthony will be racing this and I will race if and only if I am feeling really strong and healthy in June and I had a solid BQ in Cleveland!

            October 18 – Columbus Marathon
                    Goal: Dependent on Cleveland Marathon results...
Note: I am hoping to share this starting line with my BFF for her first marathon!!


Woah!  I just put a BIG goal out there… yes, my primary goal is a BQ, but a sub 3:30 marathon is a big goal.  It’s a scary goal.  It’s an exciting goal!  It’s a goal I can’t stop thinking about and so I won’t stop working for it. I’m excited. My legs are excited.  My body is ready.  Two years ago, I thought Boston was simply a dream, but that didn’t keep me from working towards it and that hard work paid off and I landed me a “BQ!”  That BQ wasn’t quite enough to get me to Boston in 2015, but it was enough to remind me to never stop chasing my dreams! 



While I focus on running this coming season, Anthony will be having an epic tri season and chasing some PRs!  Here's what his season looks like:
            May 3: Monticelloman Oly Tri (B race)
            May 31: Raleigh 70.3 (A+ race)
            June?: Fun “C” Sprint Tri (maybe Tavern, maybe something else)
            July 27: Cleveland Oly Tri (A race)
            Sept 13: Challenge Cedar Point 70.3 (A race)

So the Nelson’s will be spending a lot of time in Ohio this Spring/Summer! :) Looking forward to a great season for both of us as we chase greatness.  





No comments:

Post a Comment