Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Oh crap, she's up.."



With the Nation’s Triathlon tomorrow, I was sitting here looking up motivational quotes to get me excited and inspired to push my limits tomorrow.  My favorites tonight: “Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says ‘Oh crap, she’s up.’”  And “You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow. Your choice.” 




I am a sucker for motivational quotes, articles, books… I mean really anything that makes me take a step back and remind myself how great life is, how AWESOME the people in my life are, how lucky I am, how strong I am, and how achievable my goals are… I’m a BIG FAN.  I’m also a big fan of anything that does this while helping me to be a better wife, sister, daughter, friend, athlete… a better me.  


Regina Brett wrote an article titled “50 Life Lessons” in the Cleveland Plain Dealer in 2006.  I have the article hanging in my office at work and I often look to it when I am having a “bad” day and need a dose of reality and inspiration.  Regina’s lessons remind me how blessed I am and how silly I am being having “a horrible day” because I forgot to grab my lunch on the way out the door or I spilled coffee on myself getting out of the car.  A few of Regina's lessons really stand out to me: 



"Don’t compare your life to others.   You have no idea what their journey is about."

We all know how easy it is to get caught up comparing our lives to others, especially with social media these days.  I hate this.  Comparing ourselves and our lives to each others prevents us from appreciating our journey fully.  Do what you love.  Appreciate your life and the people in it.  Live in the present.  Everyone has a different journey - different passions, different talents, different motivation… By comparing our lives to each others, we lose sight of what our journey is all about.  Focus on your journey!   



"Life is too short for long pity parties.  Get busy living or get busy dying." /&/ "Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?'"

We’ve all been there - WOE IS ME.  Sometimes there are disasters that will indeed matter in five years, but it’s too often that we let the silliest things get in the way of really enjoying life.  Let it go.  Get busy.  For me, staying busy is the best way to put the end to a pity party.  Just make sure when you “get busy” you’re doing something you love!  Hitting the pavement or getting outside on the bike is the kind of busy that really melts my problems away. 



"Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. . . Don’t save it for a special occasion.  Today is special."

I love this.  I mean really what who doesn’t love getting flowers on a random Tuesday, just because?   


"Over prepare, then go with the flow"

Whether it’s a race, a presentation at work, a test, an interview… the ability to be able to go with the flow is so important.  Once you’re in the moment what else can you do?  If you’ve over prepared, then even on an off day, going with the flow will probably be MORE than adequate. 



"No one is in charge of your happiness except you."

So… smile, laugh, get outside, appreciate those in your life… DO WHAT YOU LOVE & LOVE WHAT YOU DO!  You don’t get wasted, unhappy moments back so watch a laughing baby on Youtube and get over it!! 






Fingers crossed for the Potomac staying below 78 deg F (wetsuit legal!) & GOOD LUCK to everyone racing tomorrow!!!




What inspires/motivates you?

What are your favorite motivational quotes/books/articles? 

No comments:

Post a Comment