Sunday, September 22, 2013

That moment when a 10 miler on the treadmill doesn't seem so bad...



I used to DREAD the treadmill.  I was in good company – it seemed like most people I talked to did not enjoy putting miles in on the treadmill and many would rather not run.  I felt extremely accomplished if I managed to squeeze out 5 miles on the treadmill.  In the past few months, I’ve slowly started putting more miles on the treadmill. If it’s crappy out or early and too dark to run outside and I have to get a run in, I make it happen on the treadmill.  On top of that, I’ve started doing some “mini” brick workouts that consist of 8-10 miles on the bike trainer followed by 1-2 miles on the treadmill and repeat 3-4 times.  Needless to say, I have become MUCH more familiar with the treadmill than I ever thought I would be.  





About a month ago, I had to get an easy 10 mile run in and it was CRAPPY out, so without thinking I hit the treadmill…. If you asked me a year ago if I thought I would ever run more than 5 or 6 miles on the treadmill I would have answered “NO.” Well, I ran 10 and came upstairs to the apartment like it was nothing.  I told Anthony “you know, that wasn’t bad at all.” His response: “I knew you were going to say that.”  

I think it all comes back to my post “Mind over muscle!”  Somewhere along the way my mental will got strong enough to endure a long run on the treadmill.  In fact, I have since done multiple 8+ mile runs on the treadmill and if you told me I couldn’t go outside for some reason and I had a 16 miler planned, I’d hit the mill.  By no means do I enjoy the treadmill as much as being outside, but it’s not a dreadful experience anymore.  So, tomorrow morning I will head downstairs to the treadmill to complete 8.5 miles which will include 2x 3 miles @ 10k pace.  Give the mill a chance – it actually makes pacing pretty darn easy! 


 Ok, so maybe I don't LOVE the treadmill, but it's not SO bad afterall..give it a chance!


On an unrelated note – I have been given this AMAZING opportunity to fundraise for Girls on the Run and run the Ragnar Relay with 11 incredible women.  We will be running a total of 200 miles from Cumberland, MD to Washington, DC from October 4-5.  PLEASE help Girls on the Run – it is an amazing organization teaching young girls to be healthy and confident.  The money donated will be used as scholarship money for girls who could not otherwise afford to be a part of GOTR.  Every dollar helps! You can donate at the following link: 








Do you dread the treadmill?
If you couldn’t get outside for your long run would you reschedule? Skip it? Hit the treadmill?

No comments:

Post a Comment